Time commitment: The YUMI garden is open every Friday and Saturday and you’re free to decide how much or how little time you spend time volunteering there.
About the role:
The YUMI community garden grows more than fruit and vegetables - it grows community, lasting friendships, good health, and a lot more besides! As a volunteer gardener you’ll be guided by the seasons. Tasks in spring include sowing seed, potting up, preparing the beds for planting and repairing garden structures. The garden team also attend plant fairs in spring and early summer to sell plants and raise funds - so you could get involved in these too if you like. The challenge in summer is all about keeping the plants well watered, fed and the beds weed-free. There’s also a huge lawn to keep mown. Late summer and autumn is a time for harvesting and tidying the garden ready for winter. Since the garden is also YUMI’s hub – we hold events and activities there during the warmer weather – you’ll have the chance to get involved in a host of other things too.
Skills, qualities & experience
The garden team includes both experienced and novice gardeners – so, the extent of your experience doesn’t matter – all you need to bring is yourself and your enthusiasm! If there are any vegetables or fruit grown in your own culture, perhaps you would like to introduce them to the garden?
How will you benefit?
- You'll learn how to cultivate different food plants from sowing to harvest.
- You’ll have fun and add a hugely positive dimension to your life
- You’ll meet new people and make new friends from around the world
- You’ll learn from and share your experience with others
- If English is your second language, you'll have the chance to practice and improve it; if English is your first language, you'll have the chance to help others improve theirs.
- You’ll be connecting to the Earth – you’ll be physically and spiritually active: your sense of well-being will flourish
- You’ll be able to impress any employer by showing you can work as part of a team, that you have initiative, a positive attitude and support a charity doing valuable and important work.
Find out more/ apply
If you're interested or would like to find out more, please contact Helen by email: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!